At Eltham Arts, we are proud to present our new project “Creating Connections”. This is an opportunity for the entire local community to get involved to inspire others and to be inspired.
We hope you all are keeping safe and sane in these difficult times. We are determined to maintain our community arts group, Eltham Arts, which relies wholly on volunteers and want to make our own contribution to living with the current challenges.
We have decided to Revisit the Wall and develop creative responses to the ongoing situation. Please join in.
We want you to tell us – How do walls feel around you? Have they changed lately? Do they bond you or are they more isolating?
Read more on our new Revisiting Wall page …..
Hope you managed to enjoy some of the great summer events in and around Eltham!
Just some of the events we’ve loved included:
• the many events at the Eltham Centre Library, Severndroog Castle, Queenscroft Park and our other lovely parks and venues
• June’s South East London Textile Festival at Woodlands Farm
• July’s Eltham Park Festival
• the Greenwich & Docklands International Festival events in Eltham
• July’s Eltham Festival arts performances at Passey Place
Meanwhile, next up is this year’s Elthamread – the book is Bookworm by Lucy Mangan. Lucy will be visiting Eltham library on Tues 29th October, put the date in your diary and join in!
With 2018 coming to an end and our annual Festive Singalong at the Eltham Centre now completed it is time to look back at the year
It has certainly been an amazing year with our WALL project which started in 2017 (with the New Eltham Mural) and has run all this year involving over 2000 people of all ages !
The Writing on a Wall creative writing competition fired the creative imagination of our community producing hundreds of short stories and poems on the theme of Walls in our Lives and an awards night on World Book Night which filled Eltham library ! A book with a selection of entries will be out very soon.
We organised another Song Challenge this year on the WALL theme and the singer/songwriters were even more in number . The July day in Passey Place ‘Songs Across a Wall ‘ was enjoyed by all the community as friends, families and shoppers all stopped to congratulate and listen to the performers . What musical talent we have !
The award winning film on the walls and barriers to working class actors ‘The Acting Class’ by Inside Film was screened in March 2018 at Bob Hope Theatre, Eltham. This ended with a lively debate
All year the local community have joined together to produce bricks ! Not any old bricks , but works of art from cardboard shaped bricks, ceramics, mosaics, glass, crochet. knitted and resin. Almost a thousand of these were made into a Community Wall in the SE9 Container Gallery . It was magnificent. The exhibition of the WALL project with the community wall, photography , ceramics and textiles was the highlight of the project , bringing together all the aspects of the project.
We have continued to support and celebrate all local creative groups and individuals through social media and attending events . The Life in Eltham column in the Greenwich Visitor spreads the word all over the borough as well.
It has been hard work for all the team and not without difficulties and problems , but with so much local enthusiasm and support we have reached the end of the year! What will 2019 bring?
Happy Christmas and a happy and creative New Year to all our network!
You are invited to the opening event of the WALL Project !
An exhibition by Eltham Arts
A multi media project involving the Eltham Community
Is a WALL a barrier? A connector? The exhibition is the voice and the vision of our community.
The exhibition reflects the different projects that have come together over the last year. It has caught the imagination of the whole community. People of all ages have created bricks using various media, photographic displays, artworks in glass and resin, a mosaic and a fabric hanging. The wonderful Community Wall will be built in the gallery with bricks created by individuals and groups reflecting what our local community has to say. The exhibition explores what WALLS mean to us in our lives.
The opening event takes place:
at The SE9 Container Gallery, St Thomas More School, Footscray Rd, Eltham SE9 2SU
from 11am to 3pm
We will also be celebrating the Five Year Anniversary of Eltham Arts.
Hope you can come along and celebrate the creativity of our Eltham Community.
Eltham Arts was founded by Gaynor Wingham in Aug 2013 following a successful community poetry competition ‘Celebrate Eltham in Verse’ which highlighted what a proud and creative community lives in Eltham and the SE9 area.
The aim was to connect the community through the arts. It has been a huge success and it is a good time to reflect and celebrate the last five years of Eltham Arts. A small team of unpaid volunteers have achieved all of this with the support and love from the local community.
Creative Community Challenges
- 2013 A Celebration of Eltham in Verse – Local writers invited to write poems to celebrate Eltham, Awards event for all ages on World Book Night. A published book with a book launch. An exhibition of entries:
- 2014 Tales of Eltham – Local writers invited to write short stories on the theme of ‘Eltham’ Awards event for all ages on World Book Night. A published book with a book launch. An exhibition of entries:
- 2015 Postcards from Eltham – Local artists invited to design a postcard about Eltham. Awards event for all ages on World Book Night. Published postcards. An exhibition of entries:
- 2016 Eltham Arts Song Challenge – Local singer/songwriters invited to write and perform songs on the theme of ‘Winter’. Album produced and launched ‘Aspects of Winter – the Eltham Collection’.
- 2017 Eltham Arts Song Challenge – local singer/songwriters invited to write and perform songs on the theme of ‘a culinary nature’. Album produced and launched ‘A Plateful of Songs – the Eltham Menu’
- 2018 Writing on a Wall – Local writers invited to write poems and short stories on the theme of WALLs in our lives. Awards night for all ages on World Book Night
- 2018 Eltham Arts Song Challenge – Songs Across a Wall. Local singer/songwriters invited to write and perform songs on the theme of ‘WALL’ All day live music event in Passey Place, Eltham High St
Eltham Arts Winter Festivals
- For 23 days in November 2015 and 2016 produced two wonderful festivals with involvement of a huge number of local groups and individuals from Eltham and SE9. In 2015 there were over 120 events and over 150 in 2016. With music, theatre, exhibitions, an art trail, roving poets and many other events.
- The Winter Festival involved thousands of local people in organising and attending events in their local area and to feel part of a thriving community
- Terrific opening events in Passey Place and closing events in the White Hart pub. A great success.
- Eltham Arts organised a wonderful professional opera evening in 2016 as part of the Festival
Eltham Music Festival in Passey Place and July is … Eltham Music Month
- 2014 Eltham Music Festival – Four Saturdays of live music in July by local musicians and choirs. Eltham Arts designed and publicised the programme with Royal Greenwich Regeneration staff
- 2015, 2016 and 2017 Three Saturdays of live music in July by local musicians and choirs. Eltham Arts designed the programme with Royal Greenwich Regeneration staff and provided most of the publicity!
- 2016 and 2017 ‘July is … Eltham Music Month’ programme drawn up and promoted with music events organised all over Eltham, including in the parks, pubs, heritage buildings and churches. The 2016 programme was supported by Eltham Ward Councillor funding.
Xmas Festive Fun
- 2015, 2016, 2017 Charity Carol singing in the Eltham Centre
- 2014, 2015 Charity Carol singing in the White Hart Pub
- 2014 Step in Christmas musical event. A first Xmas event for the newly reopened Severndroog Castle with Eldorado Extra.
Arts talks and conference
- 2014 Eltham Entertains – Five evenings of excellent talks and discussions on arts topics in Eltham Library
- 2014 to date Linked authors to talk at Eltham Library and promoted local authors.
- 2014 ‘Developing the Arts in Eltham. Free conference for the community with speakers and workshop groups to develop the Five Big Ideas.
Wall project 2017/2018 – multi media project involving all the community
- Over the Wall and Far Away – mural on vacant shopfront in New Eltham which became the focal point for their Xmas lights celebrations
- The Acting Class films. Organised a showing of an award-winning film at Bob Hope Theatre about class barriers in the acting profession
- Writing on a Wall – creative writing competition. Poetry and short stories all ages. Awards night
- Songs Across a wall challenge. Invited singer/songwriters to write songs on a WALL theme. All day event July 2018 in Passey Place Eltham
- Bricks on the Wall – inviting the community to be part of a community wall project. Bricks produced in all types of media by all ages. Organised first Arts Award for y1 pupils at Haimo School.
- WALL exhibition planned Sept/Oct at SE9 Container Gallery
Support for local groups / individuals /regeneration
- Set up a large arts network all over Eltham and SE9 for individuals to make links
- Provides venues and information and a platform to enable musicians to showcase and build a business.
- Social Media support to celebrate and promote what’s going on in Eltham and the SE9 area, Eltham arts local network members and businesses. Over 3200 twitter followers and active Facebook account. Newsletters, leaflets and posters.
- Raised money for local and national charities and supported local fundraisers.
- Eltham Arts awards 2016 to the White Hart, Eltham Library and SE9 Container Gallery.
- ‘Life in Eltham’ monthly arts column in the Greenwich Visitor by Gaynor Wingham since Dec 2013 and features by Gaynor and others.
- Partners in the redevelopment and regeneration of Eltham High St. Supported the development of Passey Place for community use.
- Partners in community projects (e.g. Age Uk B&G Silver Sunday Yarnstorming )
- Worked with the local police to organise the Eltham Park Festival in July 2017, bringing arts and music to the festival
- Links with Eltham New Zealand since 2013. Hosted guests Sept 2017 and they have also organised similar projects inspired by us in their community to celebrate Eltham in Verse and the WALL project. Linked the two libraries in the UK and NZ.
- Membership of GAVS, South Greenwich Forum and Eltham Town Centre partnership.
- Set up stalls with free activities at local festivals
- The Eltham Arts team attend many events provided by local partners, using social media to promote.
- Help individuals to set up social media and support their initiatives
- Encourage fun and creativity in Eltham and SE9
ELTHAM ARTS SONGS ACROSS A WALL
PASSEY PLACE – 21ST JULY 2018
10.15 AM DANIEL RUSSELL “Bridges over Walls”
10.30AM JIM PARRY ‘Once Upon a Wall Medley’
10.50AM MARTIN GUHA ‘I’m watching you’
11.10AM JOANNA GIRDLESTONE ‘Thru the Lines’
11.30AM CAROLINE KNOTT ‘Walls (Too high to climb.. low enough to trip over’)..
11.50AM ELEN BLANEY ‘You Must Decide’.
12.10PM DAVID FOWLER ‘Empty Towers’
12.30PM INDIAN DANCE LED BY ARCHANA PATIL
12.50PM ANGELA MCCARRON ‘Back To The Wall’.
1.10PM TONY CLARKE ‘Map of the world on her wall’
1.30PM MARIANNE-ROSE TOVEY (LEXY) ‘Tongue And Groove’.
1.50PM CON MALONEY ‘Billy’
2.10PM JIM RADFORD ‘Walls of Fear’
2.30PM KEITH FERRIS ‘All Life Is There’,
2.50PM ALAN CUMMINGS/LITTLE BEACH “Let The Walls Come Down”.
3.10PM DAVE KENNINGHAM AND
ZAHIRA AL-ZAHIRA ‘The Wall’
3.30PM LIAM FITZPATRICK ‘Across A Wall’
3.50PM RON RICHARDSON ‘Blood on the Wall’.
4.10PM INDIAN DANCE LED BY ARCHANA PATIL
Once again in 2018 we have a fantastic range of community led music events in Eltham this July. Ranging from jazz, folk, classical and rock , there is music in pubs, parks , churches and the town centre and local streets. All ages are catered for .There is even a Band for Babies event !
A highlight for us at Eltham Arts is the Songs Across a Wall event in Passey Place , Eltham High St on Saturday 21st July . Local singer-songwriters will entertain us all day with the songs they have written for the Eltham Arts Song Challenge 2018 (plus a few more!) . It will be a great day, so come along !
Here is the programme and venues. There may be more events – that’s what happens in Eltham. Ask in the poubs for what’s on offer there. There will be some open mic, so have a go as well ! During the month we will be using social media to highlight individual events and there are ‘July is …Eltham Music Month’ leaflets around the area . Spread the word.
July is … Eltham Music Month 2018
Sun 1 July Summer Sunday Music, Tudor Barn, Well Hall Pleasaunce 3 to 5pm
Sun 1st July Live Music at the Rusty Bucket Sonny and the Harp 5.30pm
Wed 4 July Folkmob at Blackheath Rugby Club 8pm
Sat 7th July Westmount Parade Open Day Live Music 10amto 3pm
Sat 7th July Eltham Choral Summer Concert at Holy Trinity Church The Armed Man 7.30pm
Sun 8th July Summer Sunday Music, Tudor Barn, Well Hall Pleasaunce 3 to 5pm
Sun 8th July Live music at the Rusty Bucket 5.30pm
Mon 9th July Folk and Blues Night at Bob Hope Theatre bar 7.30-10.30pm
Wed 11th July Folkmob at Blackheath Rugby Club 8pm
Thu 12th July Eltham Jazz Club Art Themen and Steve Waterman 7.30pm
Sat 14th July Band for Babies by GAMD at Eltham Park Methodist Church 11am to 12noon
Sat 14th July Queencroft Festival Live music 12 noon to 5pm
Sun 15th July Summer Sunday Music Tudor Barn, Well Hall Pleasaunce 3 to 5pm
Sunday 15th July Live Music at the Rusty Bucket Harvey Montague 6pm
Wed 18th July Folkmob at Blackheath Rugby Club 8pm
Fri 20th July Severndroog Summer Lates Motown 6.30-10pm
Sat 21st July Songs Across a Wall day. Eltham Arts Song Challenge 2018 Passey Place 10am-5pm
Sun 22nd July July Summer Sunday Music, Tudor Barn, Well Hall Pleasaunce 3 to 5pm
Sunday 22h July Concert in Eltham Park South. Los Dawsons 3 to 4.30pm
Sun 22nd July Jazz in the Afternoon at Eltham Palace – Maja 12 to 4pm
Sun 22 July Music at the Rusty Bucket Ruta Di & Paul Baker 5.30pm
Wed 25th July Folkmob at Blackheath Rugby Club 8pm
Thu 26 Eltham Jazz Club Nigel Price and Vasilis Xenopoulos 7.30pm
Sun 29th July Eltham Park Festival at Eltham Park South. Live Music 12noon -5pm
Sun 29th July Jazz in the Afternoon at Eltham Palace 12-4pm
Sun 29th July Summer Sunday Music, Tudor Barn, Well Hall Pleasaunce 3 to 5pm
Sun 29th July Music at the Rusty Bucket Marco Buono Project 5.30pm
Check local pubs for times and other events!
Follow our Eltham Arts social media and website for more information
Eltham GPO, 4 Passey Place, Eltham SE9 5DQ
Eltham Palace, Court Yard , Eltham SE9 5QE
Eltham Jazz Club at Eltham Warren Golf Club, Bexley Rd, Eltham SE9 2PE
Eltham Park South, Glenesk Rd, Eltham SE9 1AN
Bob Hope Theatre, Wythfield Rd, Eltham SE9 5GT
Folkmob at Blackheath Rugby Club, Kidbrooke Lane, Eltham SE9 6TE
Holy Trinity Church , Southend Cres , Eltham SE9 2SD
Passey Place (Eltham High St), Eltham High St, Eltham SE9 5DQ
Queencroft Park , Queenscroft Rd, Eltham SE9 5EG
Rusty Bucket, Court Yard, Eltham SE9 5PR
Severndroog Castle, Shooters Hill, SE18 3RT
The Long Pond, Westmount Rd, Eltham SE9 1UT
Tudor Barn, Well Hall Pleasaunce, Eltham SE9 6SZ
Westmount Road, Eltham, SE9
Eltham Arts value each and every person who is part of our Eltham Arts Network and your privacy is important to us. We enjoy keeping you updated and telling you about all the wonderful creative news in the SE9 area through our newsletter, social media and website.
Eltham Arts is a network of artists and people interested in the arts and who mainly live in the SE9 area. We do not have a formal membership. We do not have membership application forms, we do not take subscriptions and we don’t issue membership cards.
We define our membership as those who have asked to receive our online news letter
This policy applies only to the actions of EA members and/or users of our website. It does not extend to any website that can be accessed from our web site, including but not limited to, any links we may provide to other websites or social media websites. We have no control over these websites and are not responsible for their content. This policy does not extend to your use of such websites.
Any one asking to receive our newsletter will be asked for their consent. An unsubscribe button is available to enable members to unsubscribe without any further action on their part.
All information will be sent by the Blind copy system to keep email addresses confidential unless members have agreed to share their address with others.
EA will not hold any financial information on any members and will not share any data with any third party without their consent or unless required to by law.
EA will not use any personal data for direct marketing by a third party.
In the event that EA ceases all data will be erased and not passed to any third party.
Only committee members or those designated by the chair for operational purposes only will have access to any information held by EA.
The chair is the designated officer responsible for the operation and application of this policy.
Eltham Arts Committee May 2018